Thursday, March 5, 2015

The case of BBC documentary


A fear shivered down my spine the day I had heard about the Nirbhaya case. Subsequently it has always been an emotion-shattering feeling for me whenever through the media I happened to encounter the details about how the crime was executed beyond all 'imagined' limits of brutality. A movie would have been completely censored if someone had tried to show what had actually happened that night! I remember, despite these hard hitting realities and despite the fact that the entire country was mourning the death of a braveheart and was feeling disgusted and ashamed, it could not stop an insensitive 'creative' artist from attempting to glamorize that gruesome 'rape in a bus' event. Understandably, the attempt faced spontaneous uproar from all corners and the creator was forced to dump the project (probably). Yet another insensitive attempt has been made by the BBC by daring to air the views of that mentally sick culprit who is undoubtedly an inhuman criminal by instinct. With no intention of asking you to draw any conclusion on those who could watch the documentary, I must confess that I will never be able to find enough strength to face his weird views in the name of logic as it would only expose our collective failure and magnify our sense of helplessness in proving him that there is no place for him in this universe.
You are free to blame me and my origin for having a feeling like this but I could not stop myself from writing this when I saw my feelings almost resonating with the shattered mother of the unfortunate victim yesterday on a TV channel. This development has only magnified the sense of defeat in me!
What hurts me most is when a set of 'independent and free thinkers' make an attempt at extracting and then magnifying a non-existent 'Indian' trace out of the words and sentences of the culprit that found a crucial space in the BBC documentary. I am convinced along with my countrymen that there was nothing 'Indian' in whatever had happened that night. As a matter of fact, it was Indian-ness that transformed the victim into an overnight emblem of courage and fighting spirit and it was exactly the same reason that had instantaneously demon-ized the culprit.

No comments: